Sunday, May 29, 2011

"turn right, ahead"

Lexington streets, they tell me, are just like "spokes on a wheel." Simple enough, unless, of course, you can't remember the order of streets on the wheel or which direction you're supposed to go once you get to the right street. But after two weeks, I must say, I'm beginning to make progress. And now I have this interactive map to help me (+ you) find your way in Lexington and the surrounding areas.



So far, I can confidently find the Dollar Theater (yes, all movies show for .75-$2; amazing, right?), Hope Springs church (which is close to downtown Lexington and, therefore, automatically an impressive feat), and an Amish Farmer's Market. I thought I had Wilmore pretty figured out until last night, when I missed a turn into the driveway of Laura's friend Lyman's house and ended up on a 15-20 minute detour through an area known as "The Palisades" - windy, curvy, narrow roads with cliffs on both sides, no street lights, and very few places to turn around. Absolutely beautiful, but not exactly preferable at nighttime. They say that's the way to get to Shakertown and to a rope swing into the Kentucky River. I'll hit up both of those before the end of the summer, without a doubt. In the daylight.

Sometime soon I'm going to take off driving and explore all over Wilmore, Nicholasville, and Lexington. I can hear the GPS now: "Recalculating...recalculating..." I'm pretty directionally challenged - in a car, at least. But I also hate looking/acting/feeling like a tourist no matter where in this world I am, and the longer I'm here, that impulse grows stronger. Time to learn my way around this place, and learn it well. If you have any pointers, feel free to share. For now, I'm going with that whole spokes-on-a-wheel theory. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...