Friday, January 13, 2012

new places, new friends, new year

Seeing new places can change your life. Meeting new people can change your life. Combine the two, and I've had a definite whirlwind of a start to 2012. South Africa is absolutely, positively beautiful. I've tried for three days now to upload pictures of the mountains and the ocean and the penguins (yes, penguins - who knew?), but for some reason I can only get these two to work. Fitting, somehow. Because while the mountains and the ocean and the beauty definitely leave an impact, it's always the people that change you a little bit more...

Meet Timo and Nicol, the new friends I was blessed to spend the week with. I cannot imagine anyone being any more amazing to a total stranger than these two guys were to me.

This boy and I have pretty much the same taste in everything. Seriously, it's crazy.

I got back to Kentucky on Wednesday, but it already seems so long ago and so far away. And, to be honest, I'm not really sure what to do now, with only a few days of holiday left and so much to take care of. I know this for certain: I would go back in a heartbeat. I miss the summer weather, breathtaking views, the constant tea breaks, and my new friends trying to teach me Afrikaans and swapping awesome music. But I also know these things for certain: the world is actually a lot smaller than we think it is, God is actually a lot bigger than we think He is, and there is incredible purpose in every single interaction that we have. So much more purpose than we could ever predict or realize.

So while I'm currently still a little overwhelmed by it all, I am thankful beyond words for the experience of South Africa and the ways it shaped - and, probably, will continue to shape - my life and especially this new semester. 2012 is going to be a big year; I can't imagine a more incredible way to start it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...