Saturday, March 27, 2010

c-a-t-s cats cats cats

Once when I was about 5 years old and living in Wilmore, I went in the backyard, sat on the swing, and cried because Kentucky had lost a basketball game. “Don’t ever lose that, Katie,” all of the Asbury students at the time told me. Apparently I haven’t…

Around ten minutes to go, I knew it was bad. When John Wall fouled out, I felt the first tear. I thought this was the year; I really did. But it’s ok, because this season has absolutely rocked.

There are so many things I want to say to these guys. I want to tell Eric Bledsoe I like his style. I want to tell Patrick Patterson I admire him for sticking it out for two long years and for being such a leader for all these freshmen. I want to ask John Wall how he can possibly be so darn amazing at life. And DeMarcus Cousins – well, I just want to give him a hug. Mostly, I just want to thank them all for bringing the life back to this program and for being ridiculously fun to watch. Another championship will come; I know it will, because we’re the best. But the combination of this year’s team was really something special.

A sophomore in college and I’m still that same 5 year old girl. If there was a swing in the backyard now, I’d so be in it. Reading back over this post, it’s a little bit depressing. But it mostly makes me happy. Some people tell me this Kentucky basketball obsession is unhealthy. More on this to come...probably more than anyone wants to read/hear. But what can I say? :)

"To most people, basketball is just a sport. But this is Kentucky. Basketball is everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...