Wednesday, January 12, 2011

book a trip to the stars

When I was in elementary school, Mom took Laura and I to the public library for a kids' day. The program was space-themed, and we came home with lots of free space-themed stuff - most notably, dozens of black pencils that say "Book a Trip to the Stars." FOURTEEN YEARS later and we continue to find these pencils popping up in obscure places around the house...strange and a bit scary. "Book a Trip to the Stars" will not die!! Luckily, they're very good pencils with very nice erasers. I found one during the move and am actually using it right now.

In honor of "Book a Trip to the Stars" I will share a few of my favorite books and why I think you should read them. (Take note - these are in no order of importance whatsoever. One of these days I will make a list of the books I think are the best/most important for you to read.)

1. The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis. Of course there will be a C.S. Lewis book on any list of good books I make. Thought-provoking and provides the coolest perspectives. Some friends are reading it over this break, and I can't wait to discuss it with them.

2. A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare. I love Shakespeare, the story line of this, and how quickly you can read it. One disclaimer: Naturally, Shakespeare's sense of humor is inappropriate at times. So just be prepared, especially if you prefer the "No Fear" edition.

3. The Dante Club, Matthew Pearl. Absolutely brilliant mystery set in 19th century Boston. Also a New York Times bestseller a couple of years ago. Think the Da Vinci Code without all of the controversy. Or, at least, less controversy. If you like it, Pearl has other similar novels that are also nicely done.

4. The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas. This book is just plain good. Pay attention because the plot is extremely intricate; it may be confusing at times, but it's worth it in the end. It may help to draw out a family tree/character chart to keep handy while you're trying to help solve the mystery.

5. Johnny Tremain, Esther Forbes. This will be one of my all-time favorites until the day that I die. This is the source of much of my Revolution-era obsession, which fueled my obsession with the Constitution, which means, in part, I can blame this book for why I'm currently stressed about the LSAT. And, oh yes, it's for 5th graders.


I really shouldn't get started making lists of books. I could do this all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...