Thursday, February 2, 2012

by name

This week is trying its absolute hardest to get the best of me.

For whatever reason, this week is dragging on and on. I am tired and overwhelmed. I am confused about law school, I only understand a fourth of what we talk about in my English class, and I have barely seen my roommates at all. I have done very little work on my thesis because I have done way too much work in the Ceramics room. I am so very ready for the weekend. And while I know none of these are even close to real problems or burdens, this is how I feel.

Good thing it matters very little how I feel.

Last night in the midst of all of the thunderstorms, the clouds rolled back to reveal the stars shining very brightly. And as I stopped to look at them, I was suddenly overwhelmed by the thought that the stars are the same everywhere. (Ok, maybe not quite - in South Africa I could see the Southern Cross, which was awesome. And they definitely don't have that here. But still...) There are stars in Africa, stars in Amsterdam, stars in Sumpango, Guatemala. In Maine, in Kentucky, in New Jersey, and in Oxford. Thousands of them. Billions of them. And there is One who has placed them there and calls them each by name.

This morning I woke up at 6:30, despite feeling exhausted, to go get some breakfast with 2 of my best friends. We concluded that we're all overwhelmed, and all ready for the weekend, but we reminded each other that there is One who calls us by name who has this all under control.

So I am still exhausted and confused and ready for the weekend. But I am so thankful for the One. And I am thankful for stars and friends and a BBB Secret History omelet too - which, though less crucial to surviving an overwhelming week than the One, still manage to make everything better than it was before.

2 more days. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...